At Gwaltney Dental, we pride ourselves on offering a variety of dental treatments for the whole family. Dr. Steve Gwaltney, Dr. J.Ryland Gwaltney, and Dr. Whitney Gwaltney provide family dental care in Suffolk, VA. Family and pediatric dentistry consist of general dentistry treatments that ensure that the teeth and gums are healthy, stable, and free from infection.
Why Are Baby Teeth Important?
Your child’s primary or baby teeth are essential to the future development of permanent teeth. Taking care of baby teeth prevents infection and also helps support speech development. Even before your child’s first tooth shows, you can clean their gums with a wet washcloth. When the teeth do emerge, you may use an infant toothbrush to gently brush their teeth. Brushing and flossing the primary teeth regularly can prevent tooth decay or gum disease.
Our team helps parents care for their child’s teeth and track the development of their teeth and gums. We offer a full range of pediatric dental services to help you and your child maintain their oral health as they grow.
Your Child’s First Dental Visit
Routine pediatric dentistry visits can include:
- Teeth cleaning
- Diagnostic x-rays
- Charting of teeth and existing tooth conditions
- Dental cavities screening
- TMJ evaluation
- Gum evaluation
We know that some younger patients may feel anxious about their first dental visit, which is why we take the time to establish a relationship with you and your family built upon open communication and trust. Our compassionate and friendly dentists work with patients as individuals to ensure that they are relaxed during every visit.
Additionally, we emphasize the importance of oral health maintenance and regular dental visits. Visiting our office at least twice a year helps to prevent future oral health problems. We help younger patients understand how important it is to take care of their oral health and can make the process fun for them.
Pediatric Dental Treatments
After we perform a comprehensive dental exam, we may recommend one or more of the following solutions for your child:
- Dental Sealants: Sealants are placed on permanent and premolars to reduce the risk of tooth decay. Dental sealants are also used to protect your child’s teeth from early cavities. They are made of medical-grade resin that can protect the teeth for multiple years.
- Tooth Bonding: If your child has a chipped or damaged permanent tooth, we can use composite resin to repair their smile. Tooth bonding is molded and cured on areas of damage to help rebuild the tooth structure. Although dental bonding is not as permanent as porcelain veneers, they are a good initial cosmetic treatment for younger patients.
- Sports Mouthguards: Custom professional mouthguards protect the teeth and jaw from injury during contact sports. Professional mouthguards are more effective and comfortable than store-bought options because they conform to teeth. Our patients do not have to worry about clenching their teeth to keep their mouthguard in place during their game. Contact sports especially require mouthguards to prevent tooth damage or injuries.
Request a Dental Exam Today
Are you looking for a family dentist in Suffolk or Carrollton, Virginia? Call our office at 757.982.8467 or schedule a consultation with Drs. Gwaltney on our website.